how to get linux MBR

Rusty Carruth rustyc@user2.inficad.com
Mon, 3 Apr 100 10:39:24 -0700 (MST)

> The problem is that system commander does not see a valid

Wait a sec - how exactly are you planning to boot - using system
commander or lilo?

> bootable, MBR record for linux. If I could get it to boot LILO
> I would be fine, but I can not even get it to boot LILO (except
> from the boot diskette)

in the installs I've done, (and some of them got PRETTY strange - i had
a system set up one time where I could boot from one boot loader to another
all day long - I had NT's boot loader, OS/2's boot loader, and LILO all
inter-linked - yeah, don't try this at home ;-) ...

Ok, lets start that again.  In the installs I've done, I either use
the 'dumber' boot loaders from 'normal' os's and let them point to
lilo on the linux root partition on /dev/hda, OR I install lilo on
the MBR and let IT be the first thing to see life, then let it know
that my boot images are on a different drive.  I don't recall ANY
boot loaders other than LILO being able to do that (but now someone
will correct me ;-)

So, do you reeally NEED system commander as the MBR boot loader?

if not, boot linux from  your floppy, set up lilo.conf sorta like I suggested
last message, run lilo (make sure it was happy), and reboot...  LILO
should now be your MBR boot loader and be able to find your bootable
image over on /dev/hdc.

OR, if you absolutely MUST use SC, either install it somewhere other than
the MBR and let lilo boot to it as the second stage boot loader, OR
install LILO on /dev/hdc and tell SC to boot there (assuming it CAN), OR
make a small partition on /dev/hda, put lilo there (pointing to your /dev/hdc
linux partition), and tell SC to boot THAT.

If none of those work, then I'm fresh out of ideas!  A SC guru
will have to take over...

rusty