[PLUG-Devel] url preference - a matter of syntax (?)

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sat Oct 22 22:14:50 MST 2011

A question came up today at the (server) InstallFest, which I'd like to
consult the community about.

When setting up a web site|service|thing, the "thing" can be specified
as part of the URI authority, e.g. a subdomain (as in
http://thing.domain.com/), or as part of the URI path (as in
http://domain.com/thing/). The difference just depends on the web server
configuration, AFAICT.

Question is, which syntax/method is preferable, _and why_?

Assume, for the sake of argument (if you must make any assumptions),
that you have a Reverse Proxy server (NGINX for example) at your
disposal, and there are several "things", some of which run on the RP
server, and others which run on different machines|hosts (virtual or
otherwise).

TIA for your thoughts on this. Web links will suffice if you find
relevant ones. I'm not quite sure what I'd google to find a relevant
opinion.

--
-Eric 'shubes'