[PLUG-Devel] Using DVCS was: sourceforge or codeplex or googlecode for OSS hosting

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Tue Sep 16 14:06:12 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 08:39 -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:
> So what DVCS do you like? GIT, Mercurial, etc?  ..and what client
> software do you know of and think is good.  I'd be happy to try
> something if I knew where to start.  I'm not going to pay for hosting
> it though; I'd only want something to try it out with.  Also, Some of
> my coding is on windows, other is not OS dependent.  So I'd need
> something with client software for windows, linux, and (soon) mac.

I use Bazaar, mostly from the command line.  That's comfortable for me.
There is a TortoiseBZR for people on Windows.  Also there is Olive which
is a GTK+ interface on Linux.  I do use the command "bzr visualize"
quite a bit which is part of the bzr-gtk package -- it shows you a
graphical representation of all the merges on the branch.

Here's a Bazaar user guide:
  http://people.ubuntu.com/~ianc/doc/en/user-guide/index.html

And if you just want to play with it, create a branch from a project on
Launchpad.

  bzr branch lp:inkscape

That'll give you a copy of our SVN tree in Bazaar.  You can then publish
your branch for others:

  bzr push lp:~your-lp-login/inkscape/mybranch

All you need is a Launchpad account, which only requires an e-mail
address.

		--Ted