[PLUG-Devel] Discussion: Silverlight and Moonlight

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Sep 5 21:27:37 MST 2007

(Welcome, Tim.)

Microsoft announced the release of Silverlight version 1.0.  Along with
that they announced full documentation support for the Silverlight port
to the Mono platform dubbed Moonlight.  Novell is doing supporting the
Moonlight project.

Tim is a Microsoft developer tools evangelist, or something like that.
(Correct me if I misspeak, Tim.)  He is interested in our opinions,
thoughts, etc. on Silverlight and, more particularly, Moonlight.
Moonlight is specifically intended to port Silverlight to run on Linux
and will be released under LGPLv2.

Got questions?  Tim's the guy to give and get answers.  Perhaps some of
the points already made in the previous thread should be repeated or
asked again for Tim's benefit.

Background references:

Microsoft press release:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/sep07/09-04SilverlightPR.mspx

Mono Project to port .NET to non-Microsoft operating system platforms:
http://www.mono-project.com/

Moonlight project:
http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight

An interesting article with quote from Miguel about what support from
Microsoft means:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=695

I found this Slashdot thread interesting, with some discussions from
Miguel in the replies:
http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=288641&cid=20480483