[PLUG-Devel] Ann: Devel Meeting, Thursday, September 6th

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sat Sep 1 11:16:49 MST 2007

What: PLUG Developer Meeting
When: Thursday, September 6th, 2007 at 7:00 PM
Where: Adtron Corporation
Adtron Corporation
4415 E. Cotton Center Blvd., Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85040
(Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4415+E.+Cotton+Center+Blvd.+Phoenix+AZ+85040&ie=UTF8&ll=33.402803,-111.986496&spn=0.008473,0.015535&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1)

The building in question is actually south east of the green arrow
marker.  It is the mostly square building directly south of the traffic
circle in the road.

Topic: The Current State of Linux Virtualization by Austin Godber

Virtualization has recently become very popular in commodity computing.
 As a Linux User there are many options ranging from free to commercial
software.  Some of these projects have even been incorporated either in
whole or in part directly into the official Linux kernel.

An overview of virtualization in general and virtualization options for
Linux users will be presented.  We will discuss the benefits of
virtualization and make a case for the value of virtualization to
developers.  In addition, a crash course on using KVM, which is readily
available in recent Linux distributions will be given.

Bio -

Austin Godber has been involved in Phoenix Area User Groups including
PLUG and ASULUG for over a decade and has used Linux as his OS of choice
since Windows 95 came out.  He graduated from Arizona State with a BS in
Physics in 2000.  His employment has included computer security research
for DARPA, starting a Municipal Wireless company, helping NASA survive
the Slashdot effect and is now venturing into virtualization related
software.

Sorry, no robots this time.  We'll talk briefly about getting that
together for October or November.

Wireless and wired Internet access are available.

We have a candy machine and soda machines that will take your money for
refreshment.  You are welcome to bring your own food.  No alcohol please.