[PLUG-Devel] Latest Word on Content Managers?

der.hans PLUG at LuftHans.com
Tue Aug 28 12:50:11 MST 2007

Am 28. Aug, 2007 schwätzte vodhner at cox.net so:

moin moin Victor,

> Thanks, Darrin.
>
> You wrote:
>
>> Wordpress is simple to get going, and has a fair amount of flexibility...
>
> I'm reading up on Wordpress and will probably go with it.  It's primarily a blogging package which is not of interest to me, but it boasts good CMS features.
>
> I was aware that PLUG has done a fair amount of thinking about CMS in the past few years.
>
> So, any comments about Drupal and Zope, by comparison?  I'm maintaining one small area on a Zope site, and I gather PLUG uses Drupal.

I've been mostly happy with Drupal for several organizations. Drupal has
been reliable and the upgrades go well for all the core features. Upgrades
for non-core modules are a crap shoot. Unfortunately, you might need
several of them.

I was unhappy with PLUG's experience with Joomla, but that fault might lie
entirely with PLUG. I did find the Joomla attempts to GUIfy everything
most annoying, but that might be a major feature to others.

> Again, my requirements are
> * Greatest simplicity of setup and maintenance,

Stay with the core modules of Drupal and it's simple to setup and
maintain.

> * No performance worries, expected light traffic;
> * Also, all users are behind the corporate firewall so not too worried about security.
>
> Solaris platform compatibility is presumably fine with all candidates.

I haven't tried it on Solaris, but as long as you can get PHP running you
should be fine.

Since you're talking Solaris you ought to look at some java-based CMS.
Joseph thinks java-based is the way to go. Look at the webdev archives and
you'll probably find recommendations from him on java-based CMSen.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Hope has two beautiful daughters: Anger and Courage. Anger at the way
#  things are, and Courage to struggle to create things as they should be.
#  -- St. Augustine