[PLUG-Devel] Desert Code Camp next month

Lorin Thwaits lthwaits at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 20:08:41 MST 2006

Darrin and friends,

Perhaps more background about the event would be helpful for those deciding
if they would like to attend or present a session.  Last time we had over
300 people in attendance, and after the event we got about 200 feedback
cards back, upon which many people had commented that they were impressed
with how well organized everything was, and how much they learned.

We are in "Call for Speakers" mode right now, and very eager to include
those who would like to present about FS / OSS.  At this point it's true
that we have only 8 such sessions lined up with speakers.  (Plus another 5
that are not language-specific, such as general application architecture and
such.)  Although I feel that it's an OK start, we'd like to have many more.
This is where you folks come in.  This is a community event, and its success
depends largely on you, the participants.  We are very interested in
whatever topics the developer community at large would like to see
presented, and would encourage you to both suggest sessions and sign up to
teach them.

The first session starts at 8am, and the last one ends at 6pm.  That's not
to say that you have to show up at 8am, or stay for the whole thing.  Last
time when we put the hours up on the site, many people thought for some
reason they had to stay that whole time, so this time we haven't posted the
hours yet.  The idea is to come out and attend the specific sessions that
you're most interested in.  As soon as we reach 65 sessions, we'll switch
the site over to allow scheduling, and you'll be able to plan out your day.

(By the way, for those thinking about presenting: every classroom has a
projector, fast Internet connection, and a whiteboard.)

Although we are seeking sponsors, we intend to have no obnoxious marketing
or corporate bias at the event.  For instance, we are talking to folks from
the most popular search engine on the Internet, and it is possible that they
will sponsor lunch for us.  But still we aren't giving them any marketing
airtime.  (Although we hope some of their developers will come out and talk
about Python!)

So in short, we'd be delighted to have you participate.  It's a great day of
fun and technology.  And even if you find that Code Camp sucks, at least it
happens to coincide with October's InstallFest!  (Same location and
everything.)  So you'd have a good back-up plan just in case.

Here's the link:

http://desertcodecamp.com

-Lorin
Desert Code Camp Director