[PLUG-Devel] debugging on linux

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Fri Jan 27 14:18:06 MST 2006

Josh Coffman wrote:

>Instead of hijacking a thread from plug-discuss,
>thought I'd start a new one here.
>
>I was interested in hearing how devs debug on linux
>and what you can do.
>
>One thing I mentioned is that I tend to use gui
>because of keyboard shortcuts. Keep in mind though,
>this is on windows where the command line sucks major
>asterisk compared to linux.
>
>So how do you debug? What tools do you use? Can you
>step though code? Use breakpoints? check variable
>values on a given line of code? variable watches? ...

The first time I used a *real* debugger was in the 80's. Turbo debugger.
Then they came out with dual-head debugging. Like someone else
mentioned, I slapped my old Hercules card in. It was great! I learned it
backward and forward. Set breakpoints, trace into functions or skip over
them. View the assembly. Fun, fun!

After a while it occurred to me that I was spending more time debugging
than I used to. Why? Because you can almost always deduce where the
problem is. You can add prints (or something analogous) in your code to
give hints.

When I need to go beyond that and use a program for debugging then I use
whatever I have available. Gdb/ddd is fine.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |