[PLUG-Devel] development IDE's

Bob Cober azcoder at cox.net
Sun Apr 9 19:52:57 MST 2006

What language are you targeting?

For Java - Eclipse is outstanding.  The best there is.  But it is still
very java oriented.  The c++ support is not quite as good.

Visual Studio is great for c++- but don't try to distributre any native
c++ apps with the latest version.  You cannot just distribute the .exe
with dependent dlls.  You will need to build an installer that requires
.Net.  This madness is caused by the installation requirements of the
new ms c-runtime.

Which leads me to my favorite.......emacs.

Emacs is outstanding.  Coupled with gcc, gdb, and ETAGS it is a great
environment.  It works great in Windows(mingw), Mac, and Linux.

Emacs perhaps is difficult coming from the VS world.  It may even seem
primitive and unintuitive.  But there is greatness inside.  There is a
reason that it is still around after over 20 years.  And it will be here
for 20 more.  I guarantee VS 2005 will not be used much in 2025.

I whole-heartedly recommend taking the time to dig into emacs/gcc/gdb.
It is a very productive platform.

Good luck - may all your code compile on the first attempt... ;-)