svn for offline?

Ben apacino at asulug.org
Fri Sep 16 16:43:25 MST 2005

I'm no expert on CVS (by any means), so this question has led me to
look up more info on CVS and subversion
(http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch02s02.html#svn-ch-2-sect-2.3).
One thing I do have some exposure and experience with is rsync though.

Could rsync handle the branches to trunk resolution? There's and
example of mirroring a CVS tree at
http://rsync.samba.org/examples.html that seems like, if applied in
the right order and changed a little to fit current needs, may
accomplish computer A, B , and C's changes.

Ben

On 9/16/05, der.hans <PLUG at lufthans.com> wrote:
> moin, moin,
>
> I want to have offline copies of repositories that can take checkins, etc.
> when not able to connect to the server.
>
> I would then like those checkins to checkin to the real repository. I need
> this to work with out of order changes.
>
> For instance, if computer A adds 'blah' and computer B adds 'foo' and
> computer C removed 'fred' I want the repository to have blah and foo, but
> not fred and have logs from each change.
>
> I'm fine w/ the main repository checkins requiring intervention if it
> can't automagically handle the changes, but I want it to still
> automagically capture the original log, etc.
>
> I think the checkin to the main repository needs to be able to pull each
> of the new versions in the offline repositories and check them in by hand.
>
> I've just been maintaining seperate RCS trees and been merging things by
> hand. I would like to avoid writing a script to peel out old RCS versions
> and apply them to another repository.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> #  https://www.LuftHans.com/
> #  Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.
> #  We grow old by deserting our ideals.
> #  Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm
> #  wrinkles the soul.  -- Samuel Ullman

-------
Ben