encryption technology (was : Re: OT?: Legal question about p2p)

Technomage plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue May 31 19:18:03 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 17:29, Mike Hoy wrote:
> > even trading legal files (such as the linux operating system) can get you
> > in dutch (especially if it contains ANY encryption technology the Federal
> > government deems to be of "national security matter or concern").
>
> I was wondering if you could elaborate on this and maybe give an
> example.

best example: pgp (phil zimmerman's work).

the situation: PZ invented a new way to encrypt information that used a key
pair system that was "secure enough" for the masses. unfortunately, it was
also powerful enough to cause the Federal Government to have kittens. thus,
they tried (through the rules and regulations in force at the time) to
prevent mr. zimmerman from exporting his technology. mind you, it was *his*
technology, but the US government tried to claim eminent domain over it.
hence a number of court cases and the emergence of an entire new market for
tools of this type.

hopefully, that answers a question or 2.

mind you, I may have simplified this problem too far, but its been a bad habit
of mine (of late) to try and keep things as simple as possible.

TMH