Installfest Research

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Mar 30 07:40:03 2005

> Oh wow.  That's news to me!  I thought that day we tried to get logged
> in, but 50km's server ground to a halt under the strain of vim under
> bash in a UML.  I didn't hear from you since.  Sorry!  I would have
> posted at least a stub if I had known!

That day we tried and failed, or the next, I pursued the issue and
succeeded in establishing a user and access.  I'm pretty sure I sent you
an email with the info you need.  I'll check my archive tonight and resend
the info if needed.

> I did independantly write a tool, both as an exercise in PHP and for the
> group, but it was overkill and probably wouldn't have been used.  Had a
> database driven thing which dynamically built dropdowns, you could add a
> service, attach distros and jobs to the service, and put times on each.
> More like a garage's labor calculator than a help desk trouble ticket
> system.  I like Trent's design description much better.

Well, we should get an FAQ or HowTo page up and can as soon as someone
produces one.  I would suggest that it follow the "look and feel" of the
main PLUG website (colors, general layout, etc.) but am not picky beyond
that.  Whether or not you have access, I'll get it posted as soon as it is
given to me.  Let's get something up so we can argue about it.  ;^)

A sign up form or something could come next.

I'd also suggest we could use your PHP based tool as a small example or
design input, if you are willing to provide it to the project.  That would
be good!

Alan