Prior Art

Trent Shipley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Mar 23 23:42:02 2005

On Wednesday 2005-03-23 11:57, Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Trent Shipley wrote:
> > On Wednesday 2005-03-23 07:17, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I noticed a thread on Ticketmaster replacement among other things.  I
> > > just happened to stumble across an interesting project as it relates =
> > > the work you are about to embark upon while reading my Freshmeat RSS
> > > feed this morning.
> > >
> > > One of you might want to check out phpMyTicket[0].  You might be able
> > > to build off their work or take parts of it for a starting point.  I
> > > have not looked at it in any way shape or form other than the
> > > description. :)
> > >
> > > [0] http://www.phpmyticket.com/en/
> > >
> > > -Derek
> >
> > 1) For the sake of clarity:
> >
> > As far as I know there is no plan to start a ticketing project.  The
> > event planning project is still the front runner.
> >
> > I expect to suggest (more formally) that those interested in starting a
> > development project hold a contest to pick the project.  I plan to put
> > together a proposal for a "ticket marketing engine".
> >
> > I will put up a draft Open Office Presentation in the next few days.
> >

> > 2)  I did a search on SourceForge.net for "ticket ticketing reservation=
".
> > Most items were for customer service and help desk trouble tickets.=20
> > However, I think I ran across phpMyTicket (and did not look at it).
> >
> > A search on "market financial exchange" also did not result in anything
> > too promising.
> >
> > I have glanced at http://www.phpmyticket.com/en/ .  The problem is that
> > phpMyTicket is (or seems to be) what I call a stand alone, do it yourse=
lf
> > solution.  It is NO threat to Ticketmaster (in my opinion).   Of course,
> > it will be useful to reverse engineer mature, successful solutions like
> > phpMyTicket.
> >
> > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> >
> > Here are some teasers from the OOo Presentation under construction.
> >
> > The =E2=80=9COpen-Ticket=E2=80=9D Project: toward an extensible n-tier =
market engine
> > for reserving and selling tickets.
> >
> > Open-Ticket will be a =E2=80=9Cmarket engine=E2=80=9D that automates sa=
le,
> > distribution, and purchase of tickets.
> >
> > Open-Ticket Vision:
> > A market facilitation system for reservations and tickets.
> > (A market engine if you will: think NASDAQ or Ticketmaster internals.)
> > Connects venues, promoters, resellers, and retail consumers.
> > Open interchange formats and GPL software.
> > N-tier, configurable, emergent, extensible.
> > Coop or peer-to-peer Ticketmaster competition.

> The event planer project is front burner, as far as I know.  However, it
> does not mean that it could not integrate a ticketing system latter.  For
> now we need to track people and their roles at an event, and code, or
> general logic, from the phpMyTicket project could be useful.  In addition
> [...]

I am in the process of moving my web site.
(Please do not poke around the web site too much.  It is not nearly ready f=
or=20
the public.)

See:
http://trents-stuff.belfryenterprises.com/Engineering/OpenTicket_Proposal.s=
xi

My purpose is to challenge  EPP/PEP's momentum and force it's backers into =
a=20
contest to sharpen the "business case" for PLUG's development project.  If =
we=20
are lucky, there will be more than just two proposals to choose from.

Therefore:

* I encourage the EPP/PEP folks to produce a counter response.
* I look forward to comments on the presentation. =20
* I look forward to proposals for projects besides EPP/PEP and ticket marke=
t.

Yes, I do think my Ticket Market Project is at least as good as the Event=20
Planner idea and expect it to be given serious consideration.

(I hereby challenge yew to a duewwel.)