Prior Art

plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Mar 23 10:34:02 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Trent Shipley wrote:

> On Wednesday 2005-03-23 07:17, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I noticed a thread on Ticketmaster replacement among other things.  I
> > just happened to stumble across an interesting project as it relates to
> > the work you are about to embark upon while reading my Freshmeat RSS
> > feed this morning.
> >
> > One of you might want to check out phpMyTicket[0].  You might be able t=
> > build off their work or take parts of it for a starting point.  I have
> > not looked at it in any way shape or form other than the description. :=
)

> > [0] http://www.phpmyticket.com/en/
> >
> > -Derek
>=20
> 1) For the sake of clarity:=20
>=20
> As far as I know there is no plan to start a ticketing project.  The even=
t=20
> planning project is still the front runner.
>=20
> I expect to suggest (more formally) that those interested in starting a=
=20
> development project hold a contest to pick the project.  I plan to put=20
> together a proposal for a "ticket marketing engine".
>=20
> I will put up a draft Open Office Presentation in the next few days.
>=20
>=20
> 2)  I did a search on SourceForge.net for "ticket ticketing reservation".=
 =20
> Most items were for customer service and help desk trouble tickets.  Howe=
ver,=20
> I think I ran across phpMyTicket (and did not look at it). =20
>=20
> A search on "market financial exchange" also did not result in anything t=
oo=20
> promising.
>=20
> I have glanced at http://www.phpmyticket.com/en/ .  The problem is that=
=20
> phpMyTicket is (or seems to be) what I call a stand alone, do it yourself=
=20
> solution.  It is NO threat to Ticketmaster (in my opinion).   Of course, =
it=20
> will be useful to reverse engineer mature, successful solutions like=20
> phpMyTicket.
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>=20
> Here are some teasers from the OOo Presentation under construction.
>=20
> The =E2=80=9COpen-Ticket=E2=80=9D Project: toward an extensible n-tier ma=
rket engine for=20
> reserving and selling tickets.
>=20
> Open-Ticket will be a =E2=80=9Cmarket engine=E2=80=9D that automates sale=
, distribution, and=20
> purchase of tickets.
>=20
> [...]

The event planer project is front burner, as far as I know.  However, it do=
es
not mean that it could not integrate a ticketing system latter.  For now we
need to track people and their roles at an event, and code, or general logi=
c,
from the phpMyTicket project could be useful.  In addition some time down t=
he
rode, if the EPP/PEP project matures to a point where the primary needs are
taken care of, we can consider the integration of a ticketing system.  But =
not
before the primary goals of are met.

This is why requirements are handy, they prevent scope creep.  Not to say t=
hat
phased scope increases should not be clearly put on the horizon, just that
primary functionality needs to be addressed first.

Thanks for the info though, I hope to get a chance to check it out soon :)