Linux Kernel Developer job

Rob Wehrli plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu May 13 19:07:03 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Ed Skinner wrote:

> On Thursday 13 May 2004 16:07, Alan Dayley wrote:
> > I just posted a submission to the PLUG web site.  Someone is looking
> > for a Linux Kernel developer.  Looks interesting.
> >
> > http://plug.phoenix.az.us/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid
> >=128&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
> >
> > Alan
>

>       No doubt this will almost certainly start a religous war but I
> have to take a stand on this.

Take a stand on what?  A job posting for a kernel developer?

8< massive snip >8

>      Linux does not belong in systems where people's lives rely on it.

Doh!  So what else is new?  Linux is a decent general purpose scheduler.
Even with real time extensions, there are hesitations with using it in
critical applications.

This probably isn't the place to "come clean" about your reservations in
using Linux in any particular context, especially in this particular
context--when others are making positions available for Linux developers.
In a period where a lot of people have been out of work for an extended
time, and where Micro$haft dominates with their bloated platforms and
excruciating licensing restrictions, you might want to at least add a MORE
POWER TO YOU for anyone actively pursing Linux-based development
regardless of the target application.

I think that most of us know Green Hills' position on Linux, so it is at
least unwelcomed from that perspective even if justified in the factuality
of your content.

This is not meant to be a flame, but a suggestion to perhaps better
consider the message next time.  I think that we all appreciate your
opinion based on your experiences and positions of knowledge.  Maybe you
can think of it from another perspective.  If someone finds it productive
to use open source to develop a Linux-based platform into a viable "lives
depend on it" product, MORE POWER TO THEM.  Green Hills is obviously
firmly and rightfully entrenched in this space, which makes it perhaps
even a bit more inappropriate for your comments had they not been so
friendly put.  I'd appreciate it if you would give others the benefit of
your doubts before shooting down the possibilities of their success in
such a venture.

Take Care.

Rob!