Collabnet experiences or alternatives?

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon Feb 2 11:42:02 2004

My director has pointed me at Collabnet as a possible collaborative
development solution.  I recognized the name from the "Powered by
Collabnet" graphics on the OpenOffice.org sites.  Looking around
collabnet.com, the SourceCast(R) system looks very nice.  They also show
a healthy respect for "Open Source" with OpenOffice.org and other open
source projects as "Client Projects"
(http://www.collab.net/developers/client_projects/).  They also list
Apache Software Foundation, CVShome, Tigris.org and WebDAV as:

"Developer Projects
These projects are powered by the CollabNet SourceCast environment as a
community service."  (http://www.collab.net/developers/developer_projects/)

They also joined Eclipse last October
(http://www.collab.net/news/press/2003/eclipse.html), a good move to nod
to the market place with Eclipse's growing popularity.

All very nice.  However, as usual, it I cannot find where the license of
the "CollabNet(R) SourceCast(R) environment" is divulged nor it's
pricing.  I may have to provide my contact information to their
marketing machine to get those answers.  So be it.

I am thinking that the capabilities of SourceCast are probably overkill
for our needs.  Maybe I can use parts of what they use.  It appears that
OpenOffice.org, for example, uses Issuezilla and they are running on
Collabnet.  What does the group know about the components and software
Collabnet uses in their product SourceCast product?  Are they creating
an integrated environment from otherwise independent Free or Open Source
software tools?  Does anyone have any other experience with it?

Secondarily, any ideas on licensing terms and costs?  Since they are not
readily available on the web site, I'm getting a picture in my mind of
way more money than we want or need to spend.

And, to stay fully on topic, does it run on Linux?  ;^)

Alan