Linux at Tempe Camera; Running Linux from CD - no hard drive.

Christopher Bardin plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Mar 27 15:35:02 2002

der.hans,
No, Tempe Camera is not using Linux for anything that I
know of, yet.  I should mention that I don't have anything
to do with the various computers at work; I'm interested in
Linux for my own use at home.  My first computer came with
Windows Me installed.  I didn't care but my experience
since then leads me to dislike and distrust Microsoft and
its products.  When I looked into the alternatives to
Windows the best choice seemed to be Linux.
I subscribed to the PLUG development list because I was
trying to get (Slackware version 7) Linux to run on a
barebones computer, just in RAM before I installed the hard
drive.  That seemed like a sporting way to learn about my
computer and about Linux.  After all, isn't that how PCs
were done before hard drives became cheap?
I assumed that Linux was modular and that running it on a
minimal computer (CPU, RAM, some way to load the OS into
RAM, keyboard and display) would be straightforward.
Apparently the Linux core was designed with the assumption
that a hard drive, or some sort of communication with a
hard drive such as a network connection, would always be
part of any computer it would be used on.
Anyway my computer boots from the CD just fine and vmlinux
loads into the RAM but the install program on the Slackware
CD won't let me get past the requirement to partition the
(nonexistent) hard drive.
I'm about to give up and install the hard drive but having
tried to do it I think it would be a desirable thing to be
able to run a computer with the (comprehensive) OS on a CD,
whether or not the computer has a hard drive.
If anyone else agrees or at least wouldn't mind giving me
some advice on the matter, I'd appreciate it.

Christopher Bardin