SL-5500 as devel workstation?

plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri Apr 12 12:25:02 2002

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 02:09:48PM -0400, alandd@mindspring.com wrote:
> I am saving my nickels to get a notebook computer.  I find myself wanting
> to do computer stuff away from home and office.  I code for a living so the
> device I choose must support the occasional coding that I do at these away
> times.
>
> The new Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 is looking pretty good as it is smaller than
> a notebook, has Linux, has a keyboard (thumby one that it is).  But, would
> it be adequate to be occasionally be used as a code editing platform?

I would not suggest it. Although the unit has the full power of Linux,
coding on it feels cramped, and writing entire programs on it is tedious at
best.

> Anyone already have or tried one of these?

I own the prerelease version of it known as the SL-5000D (developer
edition). The unit is exactly the same as the SL-5500, save for the fact
that mine only has 32MB of RAM, whereas the 5500 has 64.

> Secondarily, has anyone seen one in a local store so I can go get a
> touchy-feely experience?

Fry's stocks one right next to the Cassiopieas.

--
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
mondoshawan@tank.dyndns.org