MyLinux plastics...a first look at them!

Rob Wehrli rwehrli@azpower.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:02:55 -0700

Take a quick look at the PROTOTYPE plastics by pointing to:

http://www.azpower.com/mylinux/hw_build-up.html

...and check out the bottom of the page!

FYI:  These are SLAs (Stereolithography) and are designed to be used to
ensure that the size and fit of the plastics are properly obtained
before spending the money on tooling necessary for injection
molding...which is extremely expensive to produce and change once an
error or design change is made.  They have a fairly ugly "base color"
(and smell!) and really serve their purpose as PROTOTYPE units so that
we better understand how everything goes togoether in the package.
We'll eventually polish these up and paint them so that they look much
better...but do not spend the additional time if too many changes are
needed.

This set of plastics was designed by our Mechanical Design Engineer, Tim
Werch and produced by a company called Rapid Prototyping Corporation in
just 2 days!  Check them out at:  http://www.rapidpro.com for more
details on plastics if it interests you.  I think Tim did an excellent
job of taking my "hand drawn sketch" and making it into a real enclosure
for the MyLinux PLW...with a lot of custom styling and fir/finish tricks
of his own thrown in for a better, smarter all around package.  Good
work Tim!

Take Care.

Rob!