high vs low level programming

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:44:17 -0700

\_
\_ I decided to look through the archives for this list and seems
\_ that discussion is sporadic.  So I'll kick up a topic of discussion
\_ that's not directly Linux related, but has much to do with
\_ SW development.  How many people here are low level hackers
\_ (c, asm, bit fiddling in hardware, etc) and how many are more
\_ into high level (C++, perl, DB, xml, SOAP, etc)?
I've done buckets of C, and buckets of Perl, with DB & XML thrown in
as needed in Perl.

I *hated* the hardware side of programming coursework...I don't care
*how* many wait cycles it takes to get 'x' out of memory, I want to
say 'x += 2'.

I know perl isn't the fastest thing out there, but I like the trade
off of me being fast vs the computer being slow.  And for godsakes,
I'm still on a p120 at home.  At this point, everytime I hit a
performance snag I think "there's an Intel solution for this" and then
go on for another month or so before thinking that again.  :-)

Basically, I want to be able to get to the bits if I want them (C,
Perl) but most of the time, I don't wanna.

I have nothing against low level programmers...I love them to pieces!
It keeps me from having to do it.  :-)

Don't forget lisp...there's a right fine language.

David