C++ and XML...

Rob Wehrli plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon Jul 16 06:51:01 2001

On Tuesday, July 17, 2001 8:30 AM, Kit Plummer [SMTP:kitplummer@qwest.net]
wrote:
> Hello folks.
>
> Our first step is to read the XML file containing a checklist for a
> particular aircraft.  Once we have done that then we will simulate the
> menu using simple cout and cin functions which can be easily replaced
> with a vout or vin (v as in voice) at a later date.
>
> --------------------
>
> Any feedback?  BTW: This is a personal project, and isn't corporate
> (yet).

No problemo.  Decide on your DTD and put your XML together, I can write and
test the code to parse it within a couple of hours and output it however
you'd like.  As a note, I've been working on a "side project" related to
the MyLinux PLW for the visually impaired, which includes a text-to-speech
processor in a PCMCIA card.  It would be relatively simple to merge these
two together.

For a "demo" of this functionality, it wouldn't be very difficult to
incorporate into the parsing code a .au file "management" function that
simply plays the appropriate .au file.  Naturally, it requires that someone
do the voice recordings needed.  There are a number of professional voice
talents, but they cost money.  I'm thinking that we could easily hack it
together for a "proof-of-concept" without spending any more than a bit of
time.  Doing voice commands would require a bit more work, but is possible
with a microphone and a sound card.  I'm sure that someone out "there" is
working on a GPLd piece of code for voice activation.

Let me know if you need help with XML and defining your document type.
 There are a number of good XML parsers available for Linux.  I tend to use
xml4c from IBM and expat most often.

> Cheers,
>
> Kit

Take Care.