I'm interested!

Douglas Jerome plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Jul 12 07:06:02 2001

> "Douglas R. Jerome" wrote:
> >
> > Rob Wehrli wrote:
> > >
> > > C++ is a good choice for languages, any comment on topic?  Mechanics?
> > > Design/Architecture?  Libraries?  3rd party tools?  C++ is a very broad
> > > topic!
> >
> > Design/Architecture
> > I think the other things are more easily selftaught (just read the
> > docs).
> >
> > I wouldn't mind help tackling someone's design/architectural issues
> > in each meeting.
>
> I think that it is a bit optimistic to think that we could adequately
> confront real-world design "issues" in a meeting of not more than about

What I mean is that as developers we all probably have some of our
own projects that we either are working on or want to work on, and that
we probably would like to present the design/architectural issues that
we are unsure of or curious about. I don't mean "real-world" design issues,
I mean each of our "my-own-little-world" design issues.

I'm certainly not hard over on this, I'm just trying to clearly state what
some of the content could be.

> > > Someday, it would be fun to talk about some of cool things we could do as a
> > > group to demonstrate distributed systems using OO and related technologies.
> > > Perhaps we could all decide on a game idea using OpenGL and implement its
> > > various facets using a distributed model where everyone who comes online
> > > adds a piece to the puzzle in a cool way?  We define an object model and
> > > interface specification for interactive objects (or borrow from an existing
> > > standard) and a suitable class library and bang out a few pieces?  As the
> > > pieces grow, so does the capability of the game...then, as more people get
> > > involved through the 'net, more objects flow back into the library/server
> > > components?
> > >
> > > Just a thought...
> >
> > Whoa... sounds BIG.
>
> My goal in making this statement was to illustrate that our group
> learning process may better happen as a result of a "real" project.
> Having a project and working on it are the only practical ways to solve
> problems, IMHO.  By having to go through the process of integrating code

A group project might be fun. It would not have to be the main thrust, though.

> > I've got a small, threaded, follower-leader model server (front end)
> > that

   [ blah, blah, blah snipped]

Sorry I brought that up. My point was that for me I could present the
design and ask "how does one make this server communicate with itself
running on other machines?" and collect some design/architectural
suggestions. It would be silly to *expect* resultion.

Overall, I just wanted to say that covering things that can be found in
a book at Borders makes less time for the other insights we each might
have to help one another...

I'm just interested in about anything, though. I don't have other
enthusiasts (sp?) to shoot-the-sht with.

--
Douglas Jerome <djerome@users.sourceforge.net>