Re: Containers

+ (text/html)
Author: James Mcphee
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Containers
I use docker quite a bit. It's an intentionally crippled version of
containers that forces you to obey certain design patterns. Sure you CAN
get around them, but they exist for a reason. For sanity's sake, I suggest
using docker-compose or some other form of automation to recreate your
environments correctly each time. Puppet or whatnot is also perfectly
acceptable.

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 3:39 PM Todd Cole <> wrote:

> 1St I have not used docker as of yet.
> I have been using LXC for over 3 years and with a bit of a learning curve
> I enjoy it, containers are faster than kvm smaller and easy to move and
> migrate or duplicate
> I use turnkey linux for a few of the prebuilt containers.
> a easy inrto is to use Proxmox as a gui to kvm/lxc and after updates you
> can click install turnkey linux containers
> stop by the installfest for a demo or to assist building it and there may
> be a docker person there also
>
> Todd
>
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 1:26 PM, Matthew Gibson <
> > wrote:
>
>> 你们好。
>>
>> So, I understand that containers are a good thing. I have been trying to
>> install seafile via docker, following the guide found online at seafile's
>> website. However when I attempt to invoke the dock with it utilizing
>> /opt/seafile as the root directory for the instance, I get errors that the
>> dock can't create directories during the initialization.
>>
>> At this point I'm ready to give up on trying to use containers and simply
>> install upon the bare metal. Thoughts? Ideas?
>> Any requests for specific error output will be delivered when I can get
>> back home and get to it from my computer instead of my phone.
>>
>> -Matt

> --
> Todd Cole
> Ubuntu Arizona Team