Re: Unrecognized Monitor

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Unrecognized Monitor
On 2018-03-01 17:47, Richard Wilson wrote:
> On SouthPole, if the screen resolution doesn't come up as 1280x1024,
> then as root
use xrandr to get the display name:

xrandr should be usable by whoever's running the current X session. At
least, I've never needed root to use xrandr.

[snip stuff that sounds correct and will probably work]
> More recently I am also using a TV as a monitor -- I had to jump
> through some hoops to disable overscanning on the HDMI port

"xrandr --output HDMI-1 --set underscan on" should work. The man page
doesn't totally make that clear, but that's what worked for me.
Confusingly enough, you can usually set one of a TV's HDMI inputs to
something like "PC mode" where it'll expect input without overscan.
This causes trouble if you plug other HDMI sources into that port, since
many/most of these output overscanned video by default.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity