RE: Learning to compile

+ (text/html)
Author: Carruth, Rusty
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: Learning to compile
Something they may or may not teach in school – take a good look at YACC and LEX (Flex/Bison in the open source world, IIRC). They can help a lot in parsing the tokens.

(At one point, after having written YACLP (Yet Another Command Language Parser), I realized that it would probably make more sense to use LEX/YACC (Flex/Bison) than to keep writing tokenizers and such… Especially since the intention had been that you could enter the commands either on the command line and also run them like a pre-written program. Never got the whole system finished, so don’t know if it DOES make more sense or not (from a practical point of view after having tried it out)…)

There may also be some good books. I know I have a couple of books from my school days which cover various aspects of ‘language translation’. I’ll try to remember to look for them tonight. Don’t remember if they were any good, though.