Re: Trent's projects

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Trent's projects
On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 08:57:11 -0700
Aaron Jones <> wrote:

> The whole “you will be spiritually predisposed to coding” is stupid.
> No one wants a computer science person on the team because having a
> team of ten developers who can write crappy boiler plate code is
> faster than 9 shitty programmers being chased around by a good
> developer.
>
> I have a website I work on that has a code base that is topping
> nearly 2gb and has to load over 986MB to load just the front page.
>
> For what? Well we have 60+ items in composer, we have jquery, we have
> endless numbers of libraries and plugins. Sometimes we load thousands
> of lines of code to do a single action that literally might be called
> on the rarest of second tuesdays on the new moon.

Don't blame me (a programmer without a CompSci degree) for the bad
design of your company's website. Why don't you offer to rewrite that
website from scratch, and if they say no, walk away?

And please don't call me stupid. I am spiritually predisposed to
coding. No, I never coded any huge stuff like your website, but that's
because I didn't want to be involved with quagmires like that. I did,
however, sometimes make money doing a Perl quickie so that the big gala
Java application 6 months from completion for the previous year could
continue their monument to enterprise application development without
the customers bolting and bankrupting the place. And the Java Jockeys
thanked me for providing them a working system they could use as a
model and a focus for customer questioning.

Far as I know, Steve Wosniak didn't have a Comp Sci degree, nor did
Paul Allen. I *know* you're not calling them stupid. AFAIK, Linux was
just a student when he made the Linux kernel. He was you will be
spiritually predisposed to coding a long time before his degree.

Don't get me wrong: I'd have loved to learn the stuff my buddies with
both spiritual disposition and a Comp Sci degree know: The data
structures, the algorithms, the techniques are astouding. But in a
contest between someone spiritually predisposed to coding and a Comp
Sci grad in it for the money, I'd take the predisposed guy every time.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2018 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb