Re: BTLE tags

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: BTLE tags
I've played some with the BLE RTLS tags from Kontact.io and others, and
find them all to be finicky around their solutions. It didn't seem like
there was anything in the open realm when I last looked around 9mo ago,
they were all very bound to their vendor and solutions, from setup to
capabilities, even the cheap chinese clones on ebay.

We do managed security for various industries, including hospitals and
like, so we partnered with a vendor for a pretty cool wireless and BLE
location solution from a company called Mist Systems <https://www.mist.com/>,
which works with the ble tracking devices with an array of 9 directional
bluetooth radios (plus wifi!), and I bought essentially an assortment of
ble tags and beacons as a poc here. I can't say any of the beacons seem to
work well themselves, and their setup apps are all quirky and/or just
broken (at least under android). Kontact was the best, but their beacons
are HUGE. I couldn't imagine doing these at large scale really with the
state of the tech today, but the mist ap's can do some cool things if the
rest of the industry could get it together.

I'd be curious to know what others are doing in this space, I sort of
shelved it after the customer lost interest and I found all the devices
annoying to deal with. We have the Mist AP's deployed at our office that
can do some interesting things with the BLE device data, contact me offline
if interested in testing some of the features with the tech.

-mb