VPN recommendations, again

+ (text/html)
Author: Victor Odhner
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: VPN recommendations, again
I’m due to renew my subscription to Hotspot Shield as my VPN provider.

Before I spend more on this, anybody have another recommendation? I’m willing to pay.

What I want in a VPN is some protection of my ID and data, most importantly when I’m using a public hotspot but even when I’m at home on Cox.

So based on your experience, anyone see a better choice for that specific purpose?

I noted these comments in a recent discussion of VPN services:
I've used ProtonVPN for a bit. They seem OK, and have a solid privacy policy, though their service quality on the free tier is low.
I use both VPN Unlimited and PIA VPN.
I've used ProtonVPN for a bit. They seem OK, and have a solid privacy policy,
I'm fond of ipredator.se. I'm unfond of vypervpn.
I use ip vanish on my PC and my phone.
OpenVPN comes to the top of my list
Hotspot Shield has been OK. My only gripe is that sometimes Google Maps decides I’m in Brazil or the UK and I can’t dissuade it, even though I had been using USA as my country.

I have to turn VPN off to get to certain sites, but I presume any VPN would be recognized and blocked by those sites.

Hotspot Shield works pretty smoothly, for as little as $5.99 a month for a one-year subscription or a $119.99 one-time payment. I’m considering doing the one-shot payment, having bought in for smaller periods until now. I haven’t used it on other devices yet, but would like to put it on my phone; I think they allow you three devices on an account.

I like the idea of some anonymity, but i’m not paranoid about that. Sometimes I play the Japan card or the UK card or whatever, but that’s just for fun. I don’t know of any region-blocked content that I’d want to reach.

Thanks,