RE: Dtmf over rj45

+ (text/html)
Author: Carruth, Rusty
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: Dtmf over rj45
Which means that the 'out of band' cannot get 'out of your subnet', and probably won't even get 'past your Ethernet hub/switch/router/whatever' into which the other end of your Ethernet cable is plugged.

Probably, unless you send it 'loud enough' to overwhelm the switch and get bleedthrough to the other lines on the switch. But I'd be surprised if you could get it past the NEXT switch without damage to the first one.

Just guessing, though. Anybody have some switches they don't mind destroying for a little test? ;-)

(This reminds me a little bit of the 'rumor' of a 'flashing eye' that a hacker could manage to display on the system console of a UNIVAC 1110 series computer if they knew the secret incantations (and more than one was required, let me tell you!).

Turns out, that in this case, the rumor was true, just not in the way we'd heard it.)

Perhaps they're putting digitized DTMF into the packet and sending it to a special port on the other end? (you know, port 80 is used for http, etc).

Rusty