Re: Dtmf over rj45

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Dtmf over rj45
Are you talking about embedding this sort of functional noise into a line
being used by ethernet? and yes most quality switches would try to clean up
the noise in order to secure the data unless it just created enough of an
interruption to just disrupt the connection as a whole.

RJ45 is a socket type so you can wire it to do whatever you want. you can
use cat 4,5,6 cable to transport anything you want. I know multiple sites
that wired ethernet cable for POTS just because it gave them the ability to
do a number of things based on need.

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 6:41 AM, Aaron Jones <> wrote:

> Any one have any experience with dtmf (beeps and boops over phone) but
> using rj45 instead of rj11?
>
> I viewed a claim that the intel me can produce dtmf instructions that will
> be regarded as noise by tools like wireshark and can be used to transfer
> things like encryption keys surreptitiously over the net without being seen
> by monitoring tools.
>
> Essentially data is hidden in sight as noise on the line and picked up
> somewhere else.
>
> Rj11 phone line can do this. But can it be done with rj45? Wouldn’t the
> first switch it hit just smooth noise?

Stephen