Re: Salary Average ...

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: A good day for Linux... :)
Subject: Re: Salary Average ...
Am 08. Nov, 2017 schwätzte Snyder, Alexander J so:

moin moin,

> Hello folks --
>
> Interested to know if the group could advise on what a reasonable yearly
> salary would be for a "Senior Linux Administrator" here in the Phoenix
> Metro Valley. I have researched online and found a wide spread between
> 75k-130k ... that seems to vary wildly based on location ... hoping to

That spread sems about right. I do know of places that pay less than that.
Need to know abut more places that pay on the top end :).

Dice, LOPSA and Linux Foundation do salary surveys ( might be the same
salary survey ).

The biggest key is what you want in order to take the job.

Money isn't the only reason to jump ship, but if that's part of the
enticement it needs to be enough to compensate for the risk of leaving a
job and taking a change on a new place. If the current gig sucks and the
new gig is awesome, the cost of risk might be negative :).

Don't forget to calculate the value of other benefits that matter to you
as well. I went from a place with matching 401k to a place without
matching 401k, which significantly reduced the actual pay increase.

Free gym and mass transit credits are useless to me as I already have a
gym membership and working from home requires no transit :).

If the new place doesn't really give raises ( as most don't ), then
consider what you'd want to be making in 3 years with at least COLA
raises.

Also ask about travel requirements and opportunities for training and
conferences.

Congrats on the offer and good luck!

ciao,

der.hans