Re: The demise of the programmer

+ (text/html)
Author: James Mcphee
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: The demise of the programmer
I'm not saying it won't happen eventually. Heck, we have factories that
build factories. But it took us a while to get there.

Also, I don't think the industrial model works for us. The product coming
out of, say, a papermill is pretty static. When I was a kid, papermachine
#3 had 3500 people manning it. Paper machine #5 came out when I was in
middle school and that required a couple hundred. #6 that came around
after I hit college needs half a dozen. That kind of thing is possible and
we see if in the employment numbers. But the output of programming is
constantly changing. It will take a while to get a system capable of
handling those kinds of changes.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Matt Graham <> wrote:

> On 2017-09-14 11:20, James Mcphee wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:23 AM, <> wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/learning-how-code-still-worth
>>> -rajat-bhageria
>>> which predicts that computers will be self coding and coding skills will
>>> be obsolete.
>>>
>>> I've read other such articles in the recent past. I'm also reading about
>>> robots replacing jobs....
>>>
>> Ahh, I remember this argument when COBOL came out. The excitement
>> never changes.
>>

> The fun thing about some of this machine learning stuff is that you can
> play with it and see exactly what it's capable of.
> https://github.com/karpathy/char-rnn , for example. (Warning: Requires
> stuff that is probably not in your package manager, installation may be a
> bit of a PITA.) As seen in http://crow202.org/misc/char-rnn.html and
> http://lewisandquark.tumblr.com/ , this particular neural network is good
> for comedy, but terrible at being coherent. Even with a relatively simple
> problem ("name a paint color"), you wind up with
> http://lewisandquark.tumblr.com/post/160776374467/new-paint-
> colors-invented-by-neural-network . "Stanky Bean". Sure, let's go with
> that.
>
> As Public Enemy said many years ago, don't believe the hype. Not yet,
> anyway.
>
> --
> Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
> There is no Darkness in Eternity