Re: New computer.

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Phillips
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: New computer.
Michael,

I think we need a little more information how your girlfriend uses her
computer. Just surfing the net and email - then maybe a Chromebook (I have
never used one, but they are inexpensive and seem to be focused on web
browsing and email.). Does she need to do office work - documents,
spreadsheets, power point, etc? Then something with more processing speed
and memory is needed. I am going to spitball a little here, but maybe a
Core i5 and a couple of gigs of memory? I could be way off as I always buy
more CPU and RAM than I think I need as I always end up needing it! How
portable does it have to be? Maybe she really wants a tablet and a small
usb keyboard? Play with the latest at Best Buy, then shop online for better
deals.

Since you want Linux, check out Craig's List for some older Windows
machines. Maybe a Dell Core i5 or i7. Figure into your total cost adding
more RAM and a larger hard drive (to replace the aging drive that comes
with the machine) that you buy online. I have had good luck installing
Linux on older Dell laptops. However, caveat emptor - do your homework on
any laptop you want to make sure there aren't any hidden issues with
installing Linux. Check the Linux laptop database, look at the issues
people ran into wiping Windows and installing Linux and be very sure you
are comfortable with the installation procedures. There are lots of recipes
for installing Linux on older laptops in the net. Or, time the purchase
with an InstallFest and get the experts to help you! ;) But still make sure
there are drivers for all the hardware before you buy! Or your girlfriend
will be disappointed when her sound or bluetooth or network does not
work....and never never disappoint your girlfriend! ;)

Finally, really spoil her with a new laptop from System 76 - Ubuntu 16.04
fully installed, great support, great hardware based on my experience of
buying on laptop from them! (I am not affiliated with System 76 in any way).

As far as passwords go, I suggest investing in a good password manager like
Lastpass or KeePass2. KeePass2 stores the passwords locally, but you can
easily move the data file to a new computer - works with Windows and Linux.
Lastpass stores the passwords in the cloud, so new computers are not an
issue. There are plugins for Firefox, chrome, etc. All you need to remember
is one big password to unlock your password vault, and both programs will
automatically fill in user name password fields for web sites, so you can
update all your passwords to 64 character mosnters and never have to
remember them. I use both of these on Linux on a daily basis and like them.

Good luck!

Mark