Re: squid shuts down and syslogs complains disk space over l…

Author: elemint@theriver.com
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: squid shuts down and syslogs complains disk space over limit but I have free disc space
Alan Dayley wrote:

>>Squid is shutting down and syslog is reporting the following "Dec 29
>>10:04:34 squid1 squid[7873]: WARNING: Disk space over limit: 153268 KB >
>> 102400 KB
>>" But i have free disc space as shown below.
>>

>> df -h
>>Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>>/dev/sda2              65G   18G   44G  28% /
>>tmpfs                1010M     0 1009M   0% /dev/shm

>Double check your swap space. I remember a reference someone made about
>squid eating virtual memory space for each cached URL. Therefore, if you
>have a large squid cache, you could be running out out of swap space long
>before you run reach your cache limit.
>
>I tried to quickly find the source but didn't in a couple of minutes.
>Maybe you can google for it.
>
>Alan

I had restarted squid earlier to try and fix this but it did not fix the
problem after I restarted it a few more times it is now back up and
running. Not sure why it went down like that though and I tried to
restart it atleast once and the errors came back but not after this
restart of squid.

Thanks everyone.

Jim