Printer Problem

Author: abc xyz
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Printer Problem

Hi Everyone,

I have been using RH 7.2 for more than three years
now.
A few days ago, I connected a printer to it, an HP
Photo Smart 2710. This printer connects to the USB
port only.
I run printtool (printconf-gui) to create a queue but
I couldn't find a driver for 2710 in the list.
I downloaded and installed a driver and I upgraded
ghostscript to the latest version I could find.
Looking around HP's website and also at
linuxprinting.org I found out that I had also to
upgrade foomatic. Foomatic is supposed to be a
database
of drivers, this is what I understood. The
installation
of foomatic crashed printtool and I don't know how to
uninstall the thing. make uninstall doesn't have any
effect.
The second problem I have is more serious: I cannot
start lpd (yes, I try it as root). When I try, I get
the error message:
Get_local_host: hostname 'localhost.localdomain' bad.
I have no NIC in the box, "ping 127.0.0.1" works fine
and also ifconfig returns what it should.
I get the same error message when I try lpr, lpc, lpq
and all other commands that start with lp.

Any help and advise is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!