[Plug-security] Plug-security Digest, Vol 27, Issue 4

Ryan Johnson rj98942 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 13:59:32 MST 2012

I know this might sound like it's coming out of left field, but I'm a
student at Mesa Community College at the moment. I'm spearheading the idea
of starting an official club through MCC. If it is approved, we will have
access to the MCC computer lab pretty much every Saturday of the month. The
club packet is currently going through the school administration and we are
awaiting approval from the President of MCC. If it is approved, I would
like to extend my invitation to you guys to come and play with us. The only
deal will be that everything has to work before we leave on Saturday. I
have received nothing but positive feedback and support from faculty and
students alike. Most of the supporters have a very deep interest in
security. I have been informed by the IT manager, that when the club is
approved, we can have full access to the entire building minus 2 rooms
because those are actually used for classes on Saturday's. Other than that,
they have routers and switches that we are welcome to play with. We might
be able to set up our own network to play with. I still need to find out
about servers and our own wireless. They have workstations there too.
Please let me know if this is something that you think would be interesting
or beneficial. I am planning on attending your meeting on the 8th at DeVry.
I attended a couple meetings a long time ago at MakersBench (I think that's
what it was called) in Tempe, and received some assistance with Backtrack
while I was there.

Currently, a few of us have been going to the Buffer[Overflow] meetings at
UAT and what they are teaching is way above our heads for the most part. I
am trying to get my club as involved as possible in as many areas as
possible that way the members can have choices in what they would like to
pursue instead of being stuck with just one route. I have also gone to a
couple of the PHX2600 meetings and that has proven to be a decent
networking opportunity if nothing else. We have been formally invited to
the Root The Box competition that is being put on by UAT and the MCC club
is expected to make a decent showing there. Not in skill, but at least in
numbers. We currently have plans of attending SCALE 11x in February and
would one day like to make it to DefCon at least for the talks. Our
official club Advisers are Dennis Kibbe who is also involved with the
AzLoco and Chris Lewis. They are both Linux teachers at MCC. Chris is the
Linux security teacher and has informed me that he has his black badge from
DefCon.

If this seems like something that catches your interest, we might be able
to combine forces or something like that. Give us a group to go to so we
can learn and give you guys a place to play and practice. I'm not certain
about what we will be able to do at the school, if anything, when school is
not in session. So the 1 month break between the fall and spring semesters,
and the summer break. But, I have already cleared it with the student
government at MCC about other people coming to the club meetings and such
that are not students. They said that the only issue would be vandalism. If
there is any, it would fall on me and be my fault.

Thank you for your time,

--
Ryan Johnson
CCENT CCNA