[Plug-security] Senior Linux Engineer - PHX, AZ or Walnut Creek, CA

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Aug 29 13:47:48 MST 2012

Safeway Inc., a Fortune 100 Company, is one of the largest food and drug
retailers in North America with 1,700+ stores. The Safeway family of brands
includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a
growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity,
spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S.
and Canada.

Diversity is fundamental at Safeway. We foster an inclusive working
environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee
is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful
relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible
through the diversity of our people. And a diverse workforce leads to
better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and
respect.

The Information Technology Department has an opening for a Senior Linux
Engineer. This position will be located in either Walnut Creek, CA or
Phoenix, AZ.

The Senior Linux Engineer is highly technical and requires a thorough
understanding of Safeway’s UNIX Operating Infrastructure. The incumbent
understands and is able to adapt IT methods and apply them to
projects/problems of complex scope. Possesses technical knowledge in at
least one technology and has broad knowledge in multiple related
technologies including operating systems, application platforms and
middleware messaging systems. Analyzes and identifies business and system
requirements to oversee complex projects requiring project coordination.
Can work independently and lead teams with multi-disciplinary makeup.

Candidates will be responsible for Engineering across multiple system
environments with emphasis on RedHat Linux. He/She will work closely with
the project teams, DBAs, Application Developers, and other Engineers and
vendors to develop and deploy critical systems.

Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Analyze and evaluate a projects server and system requirements
• Engineer and provision servers and systems using standard deployment
procedures (i.e. HPSA, others) and automation based on projects
requirements and design analysis.
• Provide delivery assurance in the form of performance monitoring during
all phases of the project’s cycle.
• Responsible for trouble shooting server or system layer bottlenecks.
• Install and configure virtual environments such as VMWare and Redhat KVM.
• Support Business and IT customers through service and change requests
submittals.
• Maintain a common documentation library of standardized procedures and
configurations.
• Cultivate, support and promote an organizational culture that provides
high performance, high morale, integrity, and teamwork.

Qualifications:
• BS/BA in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related.
• Strong experience with Novell Suse and RedHat Linux RHEL 5.x
• 7- 9 years of relevant UNIX system administration with main focus on
Linux including Solaris and AIX
• Extensive Unix Shell / Windows VB and PowerShell / SQL / PERL / Python /
XML Scripting
• Candidates must have in-depth understanding of the Linux Kernel and
Hardware platforms including x86 CPU and inter-based server architecture
• In-depth knowledge of CPU Architecture, Schedulers, Memory management and
file systems
• Experience working with Networking or communication devices
• Previous experience working with Datacenter and distributed server
environments and supporting remote server provisioning for all supported
OS(s) and versions
• Preferred knowledge of Storage: EMC SAN, NAS, etc.
• • Candidate must have solid troubleshooting skills: Network, Storage or
Resource consumption.
• Knowledge of Oracle products including Weblogic, RAC and others
• Results oriented individual who is willing to take ownership and
accountability.
• Genuine desire to provide superior customer service.
• Strong communication and leadership skills with the demonstrated ability
to lead and influence technical professionals across the enterprise.
• Comfortable working in an ever changing environment with a certain amount
of ambiguity.
• High degree of initiative and sense of urgency.
• Ability to work on multiple, simultaneous initiatives of which he/she
will apply their applicable business, technical and system functionality
background.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to
interact with various business partners including: senior management,
technical subject matter experts, and business customers are essential in
this role.
• Preferred understanding of ITIL service support and service delivery.

Respond to: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by
visiting www.careersatsafeway.com

AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER

--
(503) 754-4452 Android