[Plug-security] November Linux Security Lab Hacks DOCSIS 2.0/3.0

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Oct 27 12:43:30 MST 2010

NOVEMBER 6, [On Honor of Day of the Dead], we will be hacking DOCSIS.

Bring your cable modems (and corresponding firmware [see reference list
below] or just come to watch us build a Linux cable modem test distro right
on a Motorola SB5101!

NOTE:
I only have 1 JTAG programming adapter, which is not USB (slow) so be sure
to bring any programming adapter equipment that you might  have. [USB
Available on EBAY for $30.00 or so..]

We will follow up  this hackfest on the following Tuesday PLUG Security Team
Discussion at JCL Cowden Center with a deeper analysis and evaluation of the
diagnostic device we created out of the Motorola SB5101 at Gangplankhq.com
to include current Cox equipment utilizations for DOCSIS standards 2.0 and
3.0 (channel bonding), speeds, and security that effects us all, however
hidden behind a management interface for a cable modem, that we purchased,
but for which we do not have password or general access....(scratch
head.....wait, where is the ownership??).

This is a great opportunity to learn about telecommunications (TDM, TCM)
standards for DSL, telecommunications legalities verses internet data laws,
privacy the FCC way, and your legal rights with regards to equipment you
own, and finally the Cox Cable Acceptable Use Agreement.

It's all just a wonderful excuse to hack a perfectly useless (hobbled and
crippled by design)  DSL "modem" with a sweet little Linux stack firmware
that morphs it into a nice "router" that can blow the top off all previous
conceived network performance.

DOCSIS 2.0  HOW FAST....??? We will let you know after our build at
Gangplankhq.com on Saturday November 6, 2010 Noon to 3PM.
DOCSIS 3.0  4 down 3 up bonded channels which equates to:  160 MB down; 120
up (see Broadcom and TI Competition for these chips/modems (on Linux Open
Source)

Motorola's  SBG6580 3.0 has both a serial port and a USB port, but removed
from shelves due to firmware bugs.

Finally, we will demonstrate how to return the Motorola to it's former state
in order to sell it on Ebay, Craigslist, or return it to Fry's Electronics
</joke>.