[Plug-security] Is it appropriate for anonymous proxy servers to surreptitiously run IDENT?

Samizdatt plug-security@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:16:32 -0500

I wasn't airing a grievance, in fact, I wasn't aware that I had one. I purposefully refrained from mentioning any specific anonymous proxy because, as I stated in my original post, I'm entirely ignorant about the operation of anonymous proxy servers. Also, I had no way of knowing that you owned the "unknown host" sending SYN packets to my port 113 because you don't have a DNS name for its IP address, and I'm not clairvoyant.

I just wanted to know if it was common practice to implement IDENT on an anonymous service, as I couldn't find any detailed information about it on the 'net. You'll have to admit, it is a bit disconcerting to discover that an "unknown host" is querying your PC for information in behalf of an anonymous proxy - especially if you don't know that the owner of the "unknown host" is also the owner of the anonymous proxy. I'd just give the "unknown host" a DNS name to avoid this type of issue, but that's just me. There may in fact be a very good reason from hiding the identity of the "unknown host" doing the IDENT lookups, but being unfamiliar with anonymous proxy servers, I have no way of knowing if it is correct to do so.

You mentioned yourself that you implemented IDENT because you received quite a number of attacks. I'd just like to know if other anonymous proxy administrators also implement IDENT. You have snort, an excellent IDS, already installed, but you feel that you also need to run IDENT, which is entirely your choice. I'm interested in how the majority of other anonymous proxy administrators are handling the same issues.

In my opinion, you have a great deal of courage to operate an anonymous proxy in these times where anyone standing up for the right to privacy seems to be fair game for the police & intelligence agency's wrath. I take my hat off to you. :)

Maybe the unintentional tone of my post & emails ruffled your feathers, but I had no intention of being mean spirited. Maybe I'm just a bit too curious, and a bit too discourteous in my writing style, but I'm fairly good natured in person - if just a tad bit too paranoid. ;)

Have a good weekend!