Questions : switching back to Linux for my desktop

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Oct 25 08:17:28 MST 2022

Hi everyone!  Thank you so much for all of this feedback.  Yikes all
this cross talk is making me feel puny... I had gotten to a point where
I thought I knew a few things... Yikes!!

So my saga continues.  I fired up an old laptop and to my surprise it
was running Kubuntu 20.04.  I must have started down this path a while
ago. Kubuntu is very impressive right out of the box.

I ran Linux for my desktop for 8 months in 2000. Then for maybe 2 years
from 2014 to 2016.  I returned to Windows for business reasons.  Both
times I enjoyed Linux for my workstation. Over the years I have spent a
fair amount of time on LAMP servers. I'm not a sys admin, I am a PHP
dev.

Even though I have spent a lot of time using Linux I have big gaps in my
knowledge and skills.

I am pleasantly surprised by Kubuntu.

Brian had mentioned backing up my home drive which got me to thinking
about how the home drive is used.

This morning I discovered the following directories in my home
directory.

Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Music
Pictures
Public
Templates
Videos

This implies that the apps that come with Kubuntu are per-configured to
use these directories.  For example FixFox will automatically download
to Downloads.  Very impressive.

I think Kubuntu is a keeper.

My Win box may have died altogether. It got to the point where it would
not shutdown so I would have to power it off.  This morning it will not
boot.  I think Win has gotten corrupted.  It served me well for 6 years
and now it is time to move on.

The good news is I did a backup 2 days ago.  And I have this laptop
operational. Lots to do....

Thank each and everyone of you for your feedback!!  I've been on this
list since 1999 or 2000 and if it were not for this list I probably
would not have gotten to this point.

I'm sure I will have tons of questions over the next few days...
weeks... and months. I'd like to fill in my knowledge voids and learn
how to run this thing like a pro.

Thanks,
Keith