4-year Programing and Analytics degree from Mesa CC

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Fri Dec 23 08:33:55 MST 2022

Hi Trent,

I apologize up front.

Question : What do you want to accomplish?

I know my experience is anecdotal...  And I am anti-university to some
degree.  Everything I have been doing for the past 20 plus years has
been self taught. Surprisingly PHP is not used or taught at the
University level for some reason.  And PHP is used in some form on
almost 80% of the web.

I learned to program at the JC.

I have both an AAS and a Bachelors degree.  I did not start college
until after four years in the military.  Almost everything I needed to
learn in college was learned at the JC.  Going to the University was a
waste of my time. I acquired debt and lost momentum.

I went to the U because I thought they were going to teach me the secret
sauce - was none.  I'm not sure why I had to take 8 units of humanities.
  The only class of value was a 300 level economics class.

Today we have this Inter-Web thing.  Almost everything is at our
fingertips.  I do lots of searches everyday.  And we have these nice
user groups like PLUG that can help as well. Last year when I wanted to
create a home web server I joined the BIND, Postfix, and Dovecot list
serves.

When I started programming a BS or BA was expected.  Today spend some
time in the basement doing earnest self study and in 6 months or less
you can be setting in a cube someplace.

If you know what you want to do find a couple hiring managers willing to
spend 5 minutes a week to guide you into that niche.  Next thing you
know you can be an intern then a full-time or part-time, if that is your
thing, IT worker.

My point going to college to get a degree is not the best approach in my
mind. Employers are looking for skills not degrees.

And for what it is worth I think it is great the the JCs are offing a
bachelors degree.  I hope this will bring the universities back into
alignment with reality.

In 1978 the UofA was charging $275 a semester.

Keith