PDF

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Oct 27 14:30:23 MST 2021

I use masterpdf editor, the 4.x open-source version vs. newer
non-opensource 5.x versions (ie. different packages), it works great for
signing/editing pdf's for like past 10 years to avoid print/sign/rescan
bs.  It was always free prior before 5.x for linux users (pay up
windoze/mac slaves), but now they charge unilaterally in new versions.

First, take a photocopy scan of your best signature, import into gimp.  Do
an alpha transparency on it to remove the background leaving only a clean
signature overlay, save as a transparent png file preserving the alpha
layer.  Import the image using masterpdf editor or other to just apply over
in the pdf, and save a copy of the file as pdf again to send back.  Haven't
had to do this in years, but google "gimp alpha transparency layer" and use
the magic wand tool as your friend to do so, not terribly difficult.

This saves me much sanity dealing with signing documents over the years for
various customer and legal docs, and allowed me to be rid of using my mfc
printer/scanner long ago (though now I use it more as an ottoman under my
desk still). Masterpdf is pretty dope, it's like $70 bucks, I should
probably buy a compulsory copy in thanks regardless after all these years
vs paying for Adobe Acrobat, but the old warezer in my says meh, go free.

-mb