ISPConfig

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Sat May 8 20:22:43 MST 2021

ISPConfig is a web application so other people can host websites on your
stuff.  It's a fat stack to maintain, and as such will take much more time
to work with than just standing up a webserver.
If you're looking at learning ISPConfig, then there's no alternative.
Things like it are cPanel and Plesk if you want that kind of thing, but
haven't decided on ISPConfig.
If you're just looking at standing up a webserver to do webservery things,
then i'd recommend not getting overly complicated.  Install just what you
need so you don't end up with a giant stack to maintain, instead of
focussing on what you're trying to learn.
There aren't many details on what you're looking for as an end result, so I
can't offer much advice there.  Generally I stand up a loadbalancer that
takes traffic from the interwebs, and use that to route to whatever server
behind I feel like playing with that day.  But this is very specific to my
use case, and not for everyone.

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 7:22 PM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> I have a business account with Cox and they allow servers.  It will be
> public facing.  I would like to hear more about "it makes assumptions
> you may or may not be willing to accept.".
>
> Thank you for your feedback!!
>
> On 2021-05-07 21:19, Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> > ISP config is really geared to running an external facing server and
> > become hosting. It's very good for that, but it makes assumptions you
> > may or may not be willing to accept.
> >
> > On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 6:31 PM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
> > <plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am considering configuring a "home web server" using ISPConfig.
> >> This
> >> is not a production situation.  It is for learning.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts?
> >>
> >> Thanks!!
> >> Keith
> >
> > --
> > A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
> > rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
> >
> > Stephen

James McPhee
jmcphe at gmail.com