https://www.zerohedge.com/political/59-million-americans-prohibited-buying-high-end-dell-gaming-pcs

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Jul 27 16:24:29 MST 2021

Aaron Jones via PLUG-discuss said on Tue, 27 Jul 2021 15:04:58 -0700

>> On Jul 27, 2021, at 2:58 PM, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
>> <plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> greg zegan via PLUG-discuss said on Tue, 27 Jul 2021 14:16:27 +0000
>> (UTC)
>>
>>> https://www.zerohedge.com/political/59-million-americans-prohibited-buying-high-end-dell-gaming-pcs
>>>

>> Allow me to change the headline of this article to...
>>
>> "Six States Responsible Enough to Limit Computer Power Consumption"
>>
>> Anyone prioritizing their video game performance over the starvation,
>> water wars, crop failures, climate refugees, underwater cities,
>> deserts replacing farmland, and normalization of cat 5 hurricanes
>> that will surely come if we don't handle this situation correctly,
>> is an ethical cripple.
>>
>> And anyone, who just has to have that superburner computer, of an age
>> not likely to live until 2060 is just borrowing on a future they know
>> they won't repay.
>>
>> And it's not like you can't wait 4 years and have a computer using a
>> couple hundred wats that performs like today's 1000 watt gargantuan.
>>
>> SteveT

>Those are some dangerous statements.

Dangerous statements? What, are my statements going to insurance rates
going up?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a27180829/global-warming-is-already-costing-the-insurance-industry-historic-amounts/

Perhaps my statements could cause an increase in annual hurricane
energy:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2020-11-18-top-10-most-extreme-hurricane-seasons-2020

Oh, I know. My statements are dangerous because they caused 20 years of
drought to the farmers in Western Colorado:

https://www.cpr.org/2021/07/23/western-slope-drought-cattle-ranching/

>https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/05/06/chinas-greenhouse-gas-emissions-exceed-us-developed-world-report.html
>
>If you think little Johnny playing fort nite is going to be the
>deciding factor versus China producing more pollution than all other
>developed nations combined I would disagree.

I wasn't discussing China, but since you brought it up: Why in the
WORLD should China go through the inconvenience of reducing carbon
emissions and all forms of pollution if the US doesn't reduce energy
use everywhere it can: Cars, airplanes, trucks, busses, lightbulbs, and
yes, computers?

Now I'll admit that those Dell Alienware computers, which from their
components sound like they're about 500 watts at full use, don't sound
excessive. And 20mpg highway didn't sound excessive in 2000 either, but
now it does, because these laws and regulations forced car
manufacturers to increase their gas efficiency, and now breathing in LA
is a lot easier, and we're not as close to the tipping point as we
otherwise would have been.

> But if you are war
>hawking here and trying to bait us into a pollution debate so you can
>get everyone to do the whole “war with China thing…” then you got my
>reply and I admit I got baited.

Whoaaa, war with China? Huh? Where'd THAT come from?

Meanwhile, I'd be interested in hearing your age. I'm 71, so I don't
have a dog in this fight: I'll be safely in my grave before this thing
is more than an expense (hurricane insurance and repairs, higher food
prices) and an annoyance, but my kids will be around long enough that,
if we play this wrong, they'll be impacted by climate refugees, water
wars, famine-causing drought, the whole bag of horrors. That's why I
don't get indignant when they tell me how much power to use.

SteveT

Steve Litt