Radeon card recommendations

Steve B steveb7 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 21:09:47 MST 2021

I've been digging through some of the Arch and Gentoo documentation trying
to get a handle on which of the older Radeon cards use the drivers built
into the kernel. While they do a good job about telling me chipsets and GCN
architecture, I'm still struggling to find a card.

The Optiplex 9020 I own uses a PCIe x16 slot, first generation or possible
second. I've been using the integrated Intel for now but would like to add
a discrete GPU. If I'm reading the Arch and Gentoo docs correctly most of
the cards seem to be more gaming oriented and require a connection to the
PSU.

Ideally I'm looking for a card that does not require a connection to the
PSU is 2 or 4GB and can support a 4K monitor.

-S-