Debian Testing boot

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Nov 17 15:16:50 MST 2016

I have an older laptop running Debian testing with two USB drives attached.
If I remove the drives, it boots normally. If I leave the drives connected,
it gets stuck at the first boot screen where it asks to go into the boot
menu. However, the function keys don't seem to work.

I suspect that the machine is confused and may think it can boot from the
usb drives. I only want it to boot from the internal hard drive. The USB
drives are just for data. I am using this machine as a "headless" server,
and I ssh into it when I need to. I am pretty sure this is not a bios
problem, as the machine has always booted from the internal drive, so it is
set up that way. This odd behavior started after an apt-get update/upgrade
quite awhile ago.

How can I get the machine to reboot correctly (straight to the hard drive)?
Every time I update the beast, I have to crawl under the table to
disconnect the usb drives, boot, then reconnect the drives.

Thanks,

Mark