More dysfunctional Ubuntu-isms

Michael Butash mike at butash.net
Thu Nov 10 18:07:02 MST 2016

Funny you say that - that's exactly what I am talking about that server
is pooping out and not finding the cdrom in d-i.  With the kubuntu
installer being wacky, I just figured I'd go server and install
kubuntu-desktop after which almost always works.  When server fails, so
does much hope.  I left off friday burning a netboot cd and neon to try
when work leaves me be finally.  This eventually worked.

That's also exactly where I was going with neon - start with kde (fail)
and move on to neon.  I'm doing that with my current desktop, as
surprisingly I found finally amd drivers and mesa aren't too terrible to
use, so native kernels have been great alone, only kde's support has
been crap, particularly 16.04 default 5.5 plasma builds.  Multi monitor
support is and has been highly broken, but somewhat getting better in
neon, so my current is a bit of a frankenstein combo of kubuntu+neon,
but it's been somewhat stable (finally) with my 3x 4k displays + amd vid
with plasma 5.7.2.

My laptop with neon is more of a mess right now, but a whole other thread...

-mb