Arch migration (success!!)

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Dec 19 23:17:38 MST 2016

I really had no idea GPT was such an anomaly still.  Everything I read was
like "just do it!".  Not.

First time I dealt with GPT was a laptop my work had gotten me, which was
an asus that had good resolution and dual ssd I could raid.  It was
otherwise a basketcase, acpi bugs galore, no legacy boot, and forced into
EFI booting otherwise quite annoying - I'm now pretty much F-Asus for
anything.  I stayed using my old HP Folio that I thought was bad until
that, but somewhat worked until I quit.  I really developed quite the
aversion to EFI there as yet another microsoft abortion.  GPT I figured was
an evolution of MBR, but seems more of another unwanted upsell forced upon
people during EFI/Windoze migrations too.

I think I'll stay with mbr until we have 3tb and higher SSD's to deal with
at a price point that makes them rational, and hopefully bios vendors make
not-difficult by then.  Mine are only 512gb, and GPT seems just another
unnecessary (microsoft) evil until I'm forced to boot off 3tb disks or
higher.

-mb