H1B Visa

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Dec 7 10:42:11 MST 2016

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 07:18:19 -0700
George Toft <george at georgetoft.com> wrote:

> Jumping a little late . .
>
> "So what if they get paid $10-$20k lower annual salaries?" <-- not
> even close where I work.  How about $60-80K lower?
>
> My employer pays Tata Consulting $66K/year for DBA's.  They keep 1/3
> so the H1B worker gets $44K.  That's $22/hr - soon to be just double
> minimum wage.  This H1B worker usually comes with a Master's Degree
> in Computer Science or similar.
>
> Find me one American with a Graduate Degree in Science willing to
> work for $22/hr.

I'll find you dozens. Of course, they'll have gray hair, and employers
are allergic to gray hair.

> Yes, the struggle is real to find talent [that will
> work for peanuts].  Almost everyone I know makes more than that,
> except those in the fast-food industry.  So where's the incentive to
> get a degree?

When my kids were growing up I told them not to aim for a programming
career like their daddy: H1-B use would tank the salary and create high
unemployment among Americans like them.

> I call it "exploitation."

So do I. It's exploitation of the H1-Bs, and exploitation of Americans
who have worked hard to become the best and earn a good salary.

And it's exploitation of America. How many potential American
programmers didn't bother because they knew they'd work for peanuts and
get thrown out of the profession on their 50'th birthday? And what
happens to America in a major war? We import all our electronics. We've
lost the knowledge of how to even manufacture electronics. We have
relatively few programmers.

We (the US) won WWII because we could build twice as many bombers per
day as the Germans. I guess we better hope that we win our next war
because we can litigate twice as fast as our enemy, because would-be
programmers are studying law, where the H1-Bs won't tank their salaries.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz