To Tux or not to Tux

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Tue Apr 19 12:39:39 MST 2016

On 2016-04-19 10:15, Michael Butash wrote:
[snippage]
>> WD Black 7200 Rpm 1TB DATA drive
> See above, spinners die too.  Raid-0 any volume set imho.

I Think You Meant "RAID-1".  Specifically, software RAID-1 so you can
use the array with any motherboard.  The 0 in RAID-0 is your % chance of
recovering data from an array with a single-disk failure :-)

> Consider just getting an external nas like Synology or Drobo to keep
> data on, backups, etc.  I just keep os disks in my system, and
> consider that disposable as a /tmp drive.

This may help, but storage media of all types can fail--usually at the
least convenient moment.  Regular backups to something offline (USB
disk, DVD-R, BD-R, tape ...) are the best way to prevent actual data
loss.  2 USB disks of sufficient size, rotated periodically, with a
small shell script that mounts the disk, rsyncs the dirs you care about
to the disk, and umounts the disk is a fairly convenient and fast way to
do this.  (Initial sync takes forever, but later syncs should be much
faster.)  Unfortunately, USB disks are not $0.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity